The Meek chapter 2 animatic

There are some mistakes in this uploaded version. I will fix the local copy instead.

Apparently there are already other people embedding this in their blogger/livejournal. Not sure if that will help or hurt you, D. ^^;


The Meek chapter 2 animatic on Vimeo.


Story content and characters are all copyrighted to Der-shing Helmer. Character voices and music are paid for by me. Der-shing Helmer owns exclusive commercial rights to these materials. (watermark "shingworks.com" is DH's art portfolio website)

Cast:
Luca - Carl Cubbedge
Phe - Gwendolyn Jensen-Woodard
Suda - Steve Riekeberg
servant 1 - Jonathan Edward Dolnier
Tesa - Melissa D. Johnson
Lethy - Fiona Thraille
Rana - Michelle-Casey Burton
young Phe - Nancy Situ
servant 2 - Stephen Lindsey
Marte - Ian Justice
servant 3 - Sean Chiplock
Dagre - Marc Swint
Other voices by: Russell Gold, Stephen Lindsey and Sean Chiplock.

Sound Effects are recorded by me, as well as collected through soundsnap.com, sounddogs.com, Garageband sound effects, etc.

Ending music by Brian Hedler and end scene violin played by Ben Rodgers. MIDI Piano and Harp background music are played by me using Garageband. The other two came with Adobe Audition CS3.

****

Afterthoughts:

This self-imposed project started around the end of July, 2008. The entire video got uploaded around January of 2009. For me, if at any time I had thought too much about “will I finish this”, it would probably never reach the end. I thank Der-shing (corny and obvious, yes) for supporting me through these many months – answering questions that have probably been answered a million times, and dealing with casting choices even during a chaotically busy week (APE 2008).

It was invigorating to have actually done something of this scale (not that grand, but still fairly demanding). I felt I could tackle any project after that, but it turns out this project was relatively easy because “The Meek” – even in its draft format – already done the heavy lifting for me; I just needed to “copy” what was there. It’s kind of sobering. But that’s a lesson we amateur comic creators have to learn. It is not a simple task and no one will do the work for you.

3 comments:

Robyn Paterson said...

Wow! That must have taken forever to put together! You are one busy and dedicated man! O_o! Good work, though! It paced well and kept me interested through the whole thing. About the only issue I found is that when the voices were distant or there was special effects on them it was really hard to understand through my computer speakers. You need to play with upping the volumes on those things because the effects themselves tend to lower the volume levels when applied. I'd also suggest some multiband compression to get the frequencies a little tighter, but that's stuff for the find stages of the production. Great work Yi! How many chapters of this will there be? -Rob

Alexds1 said...

oh my gosh! That was fantastic! Seriously, wow. Pleaseeeee let me post it to the alexd3 people? maybe only my trusted inner sanctum of folks (haha)?? They will be most able to appreciate it and won't leak it if I ask, I'm sure X3

I think my favorite part was the whole Dagre/ Luca sequence, it was really really well done w/ the melding of the voices and visuals with what I'd imagined in my head. Suda's voice was maybe worth the whole thing, the part with him walking in the beginning makes me laugh XD

But yeah... wow :) Next time we're able to chat online I'm going to give you an earful. You've also been upgraded to death-hug if I ever happen to meet you in real life (you were previously at near-death/ coma hug)

brushmen said...

Rob, I only ever planned to do this chapter. Although I'm tempted to do chapter 3 as well. XP Now that The Meek will be finalized in painted form, I will not bother with the draft version for now. And I have no idea how to use multiband compression or any of the other fancy dials. XP I barely just learned to use Bus for this project. ;) Thanks for the quick tutorial!

Specific RSS Feeds: Cards | Work-in-Progress | Animation