Oops, trim size different

(Snark is not meant for ka-blam, but general frustration with "printing standard" that's not standardized everywhere IN THE SAME COUNTRY; a local printing service is also ignoring my request for a template, so it's just frustration all around. Ka-blam printed my proof copy quickly and shipped it out quickly in December~January, so I appreciate that.)

With my eyes set on printing with ka-blam.com 182 pages of sweat and tear ago, I followed their instructions (might have missed their definition of "size" because I'm thinking "trim size") and chose to do the 5x7.5 manga size for the comic. I was expecting the book to be exactly 5x7.5. But...

My book is bigger than Shilin's manga and Hong Kong version of Gundam the Origin

aligned on the outside margin, but the binding side is definitely not lining up, Shilin's book is more 5x7.5 than mine

Shilin's book line up with Gundam the Origin, width-wise, ~5 inches

this version of Gundam the Origin is not 7.5 inches high

my book is bigger than this "official" manga width-wise and height-wise (see that white edge)

Shilin, the author of that gorgeous book to the left, went with a "traditional printer" that prints novels. So aside from confusion with images, they probably says "trim size" and meant it.

Now I wonder what CreateSpace mean when they say "trim size". I hope they, also a printer that favors novels, mean the actual physical size, not the part of the book that's not in the binding.

In the end though, it seems I won't be able to produce a book at the same size as that Gundam the Origin book without adding more complication to my workflow. Oh well. Live and learn. :P

No comments:

Specific RSS Feeds: Cards | Work-in-Progress | Animation