Learning Risus and "Roll for Shoes" RPG systems

Recently a gaming group introduced me to a modified D&D3.5/Pathfinder campaign. I enjoyed the performance aspects but struggled with the math and the rules. Due to my anxiety problem that got out of control (it worsened over the years), I had to quit the game after five sessions. But I'm still interested in playing.

How do I play more tabletop RPG? And what system should I play? For that I looked into rule-lite systems, and found Risus (core rules fit on 4 pages), and last week, "Roll for Shoes". These indie systems are all borrowing ideas from each other, so at some point any game mechanic you see in one will sound familiar.

If I am the Game Master, I would probably set up a first session using "Roll for Shoes" rules:

Say what you do and roll a number of d6s.
If the sum of your roll is higher than the opposing roll (either another player or the DM), the thing you wanted to happen, happens.
The number of the d6s you roll is determined by the level of skill you have.
At start, you have only one skill: Do anything 1.
If you roll all sixes on your roll, you can get new skill one level higher than the one you used for the action. The skill must be a subset of what happened to you in the action (Say, Athletics 2 if you were climbing a wall, or Teeth of Biting 2 if you were eating a cake).
For every roll you fail, you get 1 XP.
XP can be used to change a die into a 6 for advancement purposes but not for success purposes.
I'll modify it to keep the rolling to a minimum, set XP-to-skill-levelup cost at 5 for 1, and cap the ranking per skill at 10- or just let the player succeed at doing that specific task. The goal should be to encourage the player to try different things, not power-game the system.

Players would come in to the first session with only a name and a look of their character. By the end of the first session, they'll have gotten a feel of the game world as well as what they tend to do the most. I think by then they could make better "informed" choices of which cliches help them. At that point the players can choose among their "things tried" list and generate the cliche list for their characters. Maybe cap it at 4 cliches, 4 rank maximum per cliche, and 10 total rank maximum per character. No need for a backstory just yet, and no need for alignment. Each character will be defined by their actions.

If the players want to continue the story, the next session(s?) will definitely be played in Risus rules, since "Roll for Shoes" has a dice-inflation problem. But even then, I may modify the core Risus rules to simplify the difficulty scale to be 1-5 and that rolling 4, 5 or 6 are successes, with 6 being critical/exceptional success.

Risus favors one-shot comedy stories. So if I want to play a Firefly/Cowboy Bebop flavored story, I'll have to explicitly ask the players for approval/collaboration.

If the game was a bust, only 1 or 2 sessions (~6 hours for a group of 3 to 4 players) were spent. Not too wasteful.

/justsomethoughts

No comments:

Specific RSS Feeds: Cards | Work-in-Progress | Animation